Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dances with Dirt Gnaw Bone 2008 50 Miler


I wanted to test my training before heading to Primal Quest. What better way than at DWD on the 50 Miler. My training did not have the sum of miles that are recommended, but I did have the hours of training on the bike, swimming, and stairs. Lisa, Katherine and Carolyn drove to Indiana with me. They planned to spend the day in teh pool while I ran.

The race started in the fog, at least it wasn't raining. We climbed the first muddy hill and headed down a dirt road. Somewhere along that road we missed the first turn. We tried several different options, but could not find the trail of pink flags. After about 9 miles, we hit a road, which was no where on the map. A cowboy in a pickup truck drove by. We asked where we were, not even close to Ogle Lake, the first aid station. He gave us a ride to the start area where we found Randy. He offered to shuttle us to Ogle Lake where we would start running again. So what should have taken us about an hour for the 6.5 miles took us 2 hours and 9 miles. I change my shoes and start running. This time the pink flags are easy to follow.

As I run, I start to pass other runners. My legs are feeling good. As I end the first loop, my energy is beginning to fade. The potatos just didn't seem to be giving me enough energy. I consider only doing the 50K. I know that I have a bottle of Perpetuem at the aid station waiting for me. If I can make it there then that will give me the energy to keep going. I get back to Ogle Lake, eat, drink, change socks, and drink my Perpetuem. I'm a bit tired, but I just ran 25 miles. I check with the volunteers about my place. 20 other 50 milers have already started the second loop. The beginning of the second loop was slow. The food and liquid in my stomach are sitting heavy. I pass two runners immediately, then catch another by the second first aid station. We run together for a while. As we run my stomach settles and I feel better. The off trail bush whack section is where I left this runner. I pass a girl before getting back on the trail. Along the way I pass some more 50 milers. When I get to the aid station before Ogle Lake, I am in tenth. I catch one more on the way to Ogle Lake.

At Ogle Lake, Lisa and Katherine are sitting on a picnic table waving at me. Carolyn comes running from the playground. It is good to have a cheering section. A quick resupply and I head for the final 6.5 miles to the finish. My legs and energy are feeling the effects of the long day. I trudge up the hill from Ogle Lake and catch two other 50 milers. I run and walk as best I can, but keep hearing foot steps. Luckily, they are all relay people, not ultras. I press on and see where we missed our turn on the first leg. As I get close to the finish, I see a runner up ahead that does not look like a relay person. The gait and water bottles are a telling sign. I blend in with a couple relay people and try to look as fresh as possible to not alert him that I am an ultra. We pass him with a word. At the bottom of a steep section, I glance back to see he has not made it to that section yet. Once at the road it is a simple stretch to the finish. Across the bridge and through the meadow to the finish. I pick up the pace to ensure no one catches me at this late point. I finish at 10:41:30. Sixth place overall. First in my division, 35-39 male. I felt great after my first 50 miler.

2:37:26 10 miles
3:24:10 46:43
3:47:07 22:57
4:44:33 57:26
5:11:42 27:08
6:08:47 57:04
7:07:31 58:43
7:34:11 26:40
8:46:26 1:12:14
9:17:41 31:15
10:42:35 1:24:53 50 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home